This week of fun, socializing and adventure for persons with brain injury is one of the initial programs of BIA-MO and continues its positive impact today.
The BIA-MO Donald Danforth Jr. Wilderness Camp is a week-long organized outdoor experience, held at Sunnyhill Adventures in Dittmer, Missouri for persons with a brain injury.
During Camp, survivors of brain injury of all abilities have the opportunity to try – and overcome – challenges such as zip-lining, performing in the Talent Show and more. They form friendships with fellow survivors while playing games, listening to music, creating art and enjoying the outdoors. Activities like swimming, fishing, target shooting and paddle boating are also fun for Campers!
Just the Facts
- What: BIA-MO Donald Danforth Jr. Wilderness Camp
- Who: Survivors of brain injury, ages 18 and older
- Where: Sunnyhill Adventure Camp, 6555 Sunlit Way, Dittmer, MO 63023
- When: June 21 -26, 2020
- Why: Survivors will enjoy a week of fun, relaxation and independence, while family members and caregivers stay home for a week of respite.
- How: The cost for the camp is $390 for Missouri residents and $475 for out-of-state residents. Scholarships are available if needed. A contracted Camp fee of $550 per person is charged to BIA-MO. If you are able to pay closer to this amount, please do so to help scholarships be available for other Campers.
Camp Frequently Asked Questions…
- Transportation: In most cases, Campers provide their own personal transportation to and from Camp. Van transportation is available from St. Louis, Kansas City, St. Joseph, and Columbia for $25 per rider. This service is provided by Sunnyhill and must be requested as part of the Camp registration.
- Day Activities – Swimming, fishing, arts and crafts, target shooting, sports and games, zip lining, paddle boating, Alpine Tower and more!
- Evening Activities – Bonfire, Dinner Dance, Talent Show, Pool Party and Bingo
- Personal Care Assistance – Sunnyhill Adventures has staff to provide personal care assistance, as needed, for survivors’ enjoyment of Camp. However, it is not a “Special Medical Needs” Camp as defined by the American Camp Association (ACA) and some Campers with complex medical needs may need to provide their own PCA.
- Assistance with Camp Fee – If assistance is needed to cover a Camper’s Fee, check with local resources who may be able to help cover some or all of the Camp Fee.
- Sunnyhill Adventure Camp – They are accredited by the American Camping Association and have served individuals with special needs for more than 40 years. Learn more about Sunnyhill Adventures.
- What to Pack – Suggested Packing List
- Walk-Float-Swim – This At-Camp fundraiser gives Campers the opportunity to log laps around the pool or designated Campground areas, and win prizes while doing so! Family, friends and neighbors may donate a fixed amount for each lap a Camper walks, floats or swims while at Camp. Donations support the Brain Injury Association of Missouri and Camp Scholarships.
Approximately 40 percent of Campers attending the BIA-MO Donald Danforth Jr. Wilderness Camp need scholarship assistance with the Camp Fee.
Your donation of $390 or more provides Full Scholarship assistance for a Camper. Your generosity of any amount will support partial scholarships and program support to ensure Campers who want to attend Camp have the opportunity for this week of fun, relaxation and independence.
Make Your Sponsor-A-Camper Donation now!
More information and details are available as well as suggestions on financial resources and assistance with Camp Fees. Contact the Brain Injury Association of Missouri (BIA-MO) at 1-800-444-6443 or send us an email by clicking on Contact Us.